Search This Blog

Thursday 17 March 2011

Idea for CCTV Footage editing

After thinking for ages about how we could make the ring around the attacker walking into the car park on the CCTV footage i decided to take a video of myself and have a play around with it on iMovie, trying to figure out a way to do it. I did find a way which took quite a long time but now that I know how to do it i will be able to hopefully improve it and then we will have the option of whether or not to use it in our final piece.


Firstly, i took a film on my computer using the built-in camera. I then imported this into iMovie and created a new project. After snipping off the start and end (there were unnecessary seconds either side) I found the part of the video where i wanted the ring to appear and right clicked to bring up a menu. I then selected 'Add Freeze Frame from this menu'.


I then turned the clip to black and white by double-clicking and selecting the 'Black and White' video effect.


I then used a program on my Mac called 'Grab' which is the equivalent of the printscreen button on a Windows PC and 'grabbed' the picture in the top right hand side of the iMovie screen.


I then saved this picture to my desktop and opened a program called Paintbrush which is very similar to Paint on a PC and went to File; Open. And opened the image which i had just 'grabbed'.


I then used the circle tool in Paintbrush to circle myself, the part of the picture i wanted to highlight.


I then saved this new image on my desktop in place of the 'grabbed' image and dragged it into iMovie in place of the original freeze frame (I deleted the original freeze frame first). I noticed that when i had originally grabbed the picture i must have missed some of the top off it when i cropped it so it didn't fit in smoothly with the rest of the clip. I added the transition 'Cross Disolve' and it made it less obvious.


I turned the whole clip into black and white using the same technique as the way i had done it before with the freeze frame. Lastly, I added a title at the start just to introduce it and put some music behind it so its not just silent to listen to (I cut the sound out of the clips by double clicking on the clip and setting audio to 0%)

Before exporting to QuickTime the finished result on iMovie looked like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment